After enjoying the capital of the Renaissance we figuratively step back in time to ancient forests and monasteries of the Middle Ages. The beautiful Casentino National Forest is the setting and St Francis’s beloved Santuario della Verna atop serene Mount Penna with its active Franciscan convent is the goal. This is a challenging itinerary and includes mountain hiking in the Central Apennine range. This trip can be paired with the Assisi to Rome itinerary that follows. A 10% discount applies when both trips are booked together.
Please note that this itinerary is now fully booked and we are only accepting participants on our waiting list at the present time.
- September 3 – Gather, overnight in Florence
- September 4 – Florence to Pontessieve (23.8km/14.8miles, rated Average)
- September 5 – Pontessieve to Consuma (17.8km/11miles, rated Challenging)
- September 6 – Consuma to Stia (17km/10.6miles, rated Average)
- September 7 – Stia to Camaldoli (16.6km/10.3miles, rated Challenging)
- September 8 – Camaldoli to Badia Prataglia (or Santicchio) (8.4km/5.2miles, rated Easy)
- September 9 – Badia Prataglia (or Santicchio) to Santuario della Verna (17.5km/10.9miles, rated Challenging)
- September 10 – Santuario della Verna to Pieve Santo Stefano (15.2km/9.4miles, rated Average)
- September 11 – Pieve Santo Stefano to Sansepolcro (or Montecasale) (25km/15.5miles, rated Average)
- September 12 – Sansepolcro (or Montecasale) to Citerna (12.5km/7.8miles, rated Easy)
- September 13 – Citerna to Citta di Castello (20.3km/12.6miles, rated Average)
- September 14 – Citta di Castello to Pietralunga (29.8km/18.5miles, rated Challenging)
- September 15 – Pietralunga to Gubbio (26.5km/16.5miles, rated Average)
- September 16 – Gubbio to Biscina (22.7km/14.1miles, rated Challenging)
- September 17 – Biscina to Valfabbrica (15.9km/9.9miles, rated Average)
- September 18 – Valfabbrica to Assisi (13.4km/8.3 miles, rated Average)
- September 19 – Depart Assisi (overnight option, tour option)
This trip includes: Nightly hotel accommodations in 4-star or best available facilities, daily breakfast and dinner, baggage service, van service, and leadership by experienced pilgrim Sandy Brown. Prices do not include air or ground travel to and from start and finish points or lunch each day. Itineraries subject to possible change. Terms and conditions apply — full listing available September 2016. Deposits accepted beginning October 1, 2016.
For more information: